Location: Rivers State
Background of the BMI
In 2013, the former Dutch Ambassador to Nigeria, His Excellency Bert Ronhaar, took a personal interest in the Bodo case and he sought to assist in bringing about the clean-up, remediation, and restoration of oil-impacted areas in Bodo. His consultation with the Nigerian government, SPDC, and the Bodo community led to the establishment of the Bodo Mediation Initiative (BMI) which was set up to oversee and mediate throughout the clean-up project.
The BMI is looking for suitable and qualified candidates to fill the positions below:
A. Deputy Project Director:
1. To assist the Project Director with the planning of activities, management, and execution to enable the successful delivery of the Bodo Remediation Project in accordance with the agreed Remedial Action Plan. The work area is comprised of 1000 hectares in intertidal muds and mangroves of the Bodo community in Rivers State.
2. To assist in measuring and reporting work progress to the Bodo Mediation Initiative Leadership and Bodo Mediation Technical Working Team.
3. Management of other BMI processes that will ensure the successful delivery of the clean-up and remediation of the Bodo Creek in a technically sound and environmentally friendly manner in accordance with international standards and global best practices.
4. Provide oversight and recommendations regarding the compliance of contractor progress.
5. Assist other BMI staff to understand and complete their roles.
6. Assist with scheduling. communications, and logistics.
7. Such other duties as may be approved in writing by the BMI.
Required Skills and Experience:
1. Advanced degree in environmental management or engineering
2. At least 10 years of project management experience in an environmental-related field
3. (Bonus) Experience in oil spill cleanup remediation and/or restoration
4. Ability to strategically and effectively communicate with diverse stakeholders
5. Knowledge of MS Office Suite
6. Ability to effectively coordinate project personnel and contractors
7. Ability to perform in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
8. Attention to detail
9. Ability to innovate and provide solutions as required
1. Experience in mangrove ecosystem management and restoration
2. Proficient in Microsoft software applications
3. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
4. Physical fitness for fieldwork in challenging swamp environment
B. Technical Assistant:
1. Assist the Project Director & Deputy Project Director on technical matters related to the Clean-up and Remediation Project.
2. Assist the PD & DPD on technical matters of contractors, reporting on applied technologies at different sites, documenting work progress and documentation of submitted reports and complaints.
3. Assist PD & DPD in data entry, processing, and file organization.
4. Keep a record of Minutes of Meetings and proceeding of all project activities.
5. Assist/Represent the PD & DPD in engagements when delegated to do so.
6. Maintain a database of all documentation and records originated in the course of the project
7. Shall maintain an inventory of all equipment and facilities in the Project Directorate office and manage office supplies to ensure work continuity
8. Perform all other ancillary and administrative duties assigned by the PD/DPD as required to ensure the smooth running of the Project Directorate office.
1. At least a bachelor’s degree in an environment-related discipline
2. At least 2 years’ experience in a related field
3. Computer literacy
4. A high degree of familiarity with MS Office Suite
1. Time management
2. High level of accuracy and attention to detail
4. Ability to work well with others
5. Experience with data entry
6. Experience with QA/QC.
7. Strong communication skills
Monday, 30th September 2019
Normal office conditions: ability to travel in all-terrain and means on long distances to reach the rural Ogoni community. Be aware, that fieldwork in oiled, mud-dominated habitats is involved, so fitness is important.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover letter to [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the email.