The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Regional Capacity Building Assistant (French Speaking)
Ref No: 18/17 LOS
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Job Category: Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
Job Subcategory: Immigration Enforcement International (formerly RALON)
Main Purpose of Job
The British Deputy High Commission is looking to recruit a Regional Training Assistant to work in the Immigration and Enforcement International, Immigration Enforcement International (IEI) office. IEI have secured funding for a programme of border capacity building / development of host nation law enforcement organisations located in West Africa. The objectives of this programme are:
- Improved border and migration management capacity in key irregular migration source countries – supporting a reduction in irregular migration flows.
- Improved capacity to sustainably re-integrate and rehabilitate returned migrants, including Victims of Trafficking – supporting increased returns and improved protection for vulnerable groups.
- Improve the co-operation of host nations on the tackling of the push factors that drive irregular migration at source – supporting a reduction in irregular migration flows.
- Improved Value For Money – Working with host nations to prevent and reduce illegal immigration to the UK to reduce associated costs to the UK taxpayer. Building the capacity of key partners through frequent, targeted, responsive and intelligent liaison/expertise transfer as a more cost effective approach than large scale programming and/or equipment investment.
- Improved security system management through building capability to detect fraudulent documents and prevent inadequately documented passengers from travelling; increasing investigation and intelligence skills to tackle the underlying criminality behind immigration crime.
The Successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Regional Training Officer in the capacity building programme in Overseas Development Aid ODA countries, specifically West Africa. The role will focus on developing technical knowledge and strengthening institutional capacity on migration, human trafficking and border security management, aiming at long-term sustainability. The programmes aim to build capacity in three areas:
- Developing institutional capacity;
- Developing human capacity; and
- Developing operational capacity.
Roles and Responsibilities /what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
The successful candidate will assist in researching trends in visa applications, dealing with passengers referred to the BDHC by airlines and checking application details against confidential databases. Duties will include:
- Working closely with existing IEI teams overseas and assist Regional Training Officer to build Capacity in West Africa.
- Assist in developing and managing a clear, coherent programme/capacity building plans.
- Working with UK Home Office training teams develop and deliver training courses, as well as “training of trainers” programmes in order to facilitate knowledge sharing. This will include accurate translation of training material into the French language as well as delivery of training around the West Africa region in French.
- Provide ancillary administrative support to the Regional Training Officer and Immigration Liaison Manager (ILM) on travel and accommodation arrangements as well as diarising and booking venues to provide training.
- Assist the Regional Training officer and ILM in managing financial/budgetary plans, exercise quality control over all procedures and documents, and ensure proper follow-up as necessary.
- Assist in the coordination of timely submission of reporting on programmes, including ad hoc, monthly, interim, quarterly, annual and end-of-project reports.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Fluent in French language skills
- Must possess good computer skills with familiarity with software packages MS Word, Excel and straightforward databases.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Previous experience in a training environment is preferable
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering
Other benefits and Conditions of Employment:
- The sucsessful candidate will be working closely with the existing IEI teams overseas and assist Regional Training Officer to build Capacity in West Africa. This is a flexible role and may involve occasional and on short notice travel throughout West and East Africa.
- Employment will be subject to obtaining the appropriate security clearance. Please note that only nationals of the UK, EU countries, USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are likely to be able to meet this requirement.
Starting monthly salary
Application Closing Date
2nd October, 2017.
1st November, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should